Scissor lifts are a unique kind of aerial lift that allows people to work safely above ground. Unlike other types of lifts, they only go straight up and down. They can’t extend horizontally when the platform is up in the air. Yet, they can handle most types of work that require a ladder, tower or scaffolding. This makes them a popular choice on many job sites.
Scissor lifts provide a safe, reliable way to lift workers and equipment into the air. The allow workers to access to hard-to-reach places. They can also be used to move heavy loads in tight spaces. Indoors, scissor lift uses include many diverse tasks in warehouses, schools and hotels with and other buildings with high ceilings. Outdoors, they are often used in construction, highway bridge repairs, painting and much more.
Scissor lifts are also one of the safest types of aerial lifts. The wide, heavy base provides a stable working foundation. The work platform contains safety railings on all sides. And workers have plenty of room for their equipment and tools. This makes it easier and safer to get the job done.
What Is a Scissor Lift Used For
Scissor lifts are one of the most versatile types of industrial equipment. Some of the many benefits of scissor lifts use include:
– Worker can focus on the job rather than worrying about unstable supports. This allows them to complete jobs quicker.
– Scissor lifts can be used both indoors and outdoors. They are well suited for adapting to different work conditions.
– Compact Design.Scissor lifts don’t take up much space when retracted. This are easy to move around in cramped warehouses and storage sites.
– Easy to transfer. Scissor lifts don’t have to be dismantled to move from one job site to another. They can be towed easily and safely when retracted.
How to Use a Scissor Lift
What a scissor lift is used for? The first thing that comes to mind for most people is landscape maintenance, tree trimming, and power line repair. However, scissor lifts are widely used in diverse industries. These include:
– Building maintenance
– Chemical processing
– Food processing
– Transportation and delivery
– Warehousing and storage
– Health care
Common applications include:
– Construction. Scissor lifts can be found on construction projects of all types and sizes. On the job site, scissor lift uses can range from installing windows, delivering tools and equipment to upper stories of tall buildings, and much more. Their durable design makes them ideal for building renovation and general contracting.
– Scissor lifts play a key role in the supply chain for many industries. They are often used to retrieve products from the shelves and move them to the loading dock for delivery.
– Overhead signs.You’ll often see highway workers using scissor lifts to install or replace freeway signs. They also provide safe support when hanging commercial signs on buildings and other free-standing objects.
– Scissor lifts are often used to load and unload goods into narrow spaces in rail yards.
– Big-name retailers and smaller operations use scissor lifts to move products around store and warehouse shelves. In warehouses, scissor lifts are often used to change high overhead lights, repair ceilings, and more.
– Without scissor lifts, distribution centers would struggle when loading and unloading trucks. Few tools are better at safely reaching and moving pallets, roll cages, and parts stored at high levels.
Other Scissor Lift Uses
You may be surprised to learn some of the jobs scissor lifts are used for. Some of the more unusual uses of scissor lifts include:
– Underside inspections. Repairing small vehicles, machinery, or other devices often requires underside access. Special types of scissor lifts, called automotive lifts, are designed to lift cars, trucks, and other vehicles.
– Animal rescue. Do they really use scissor lifts to get cats down out of trees? It happens more often than you might think. And it’s safer than using a ladder. Also, scissor lifts can reach higher and access parts of trees ladders can’t get to.
-Sports venue setup.In sports arenas, scissor lifts provide safe, sturdy access when making repairs to overhead lighting and scoreboards. Game officials often use them to measure the 10-ft. height of basketball hoops.
– When monitoring large events, police and crowd control firms often use scissor lifts to get a “birds-eye” view of the area.
– Thrills and chills.Scissor lifts are even used for roller-coaster maintenance and repairs. Some repairs are performed on walkways built into the rides. Scissor lifts provide safe access to the hard-to-reach areas that can’t be accessed from the walkways.
Scissor Lift Safety
The question “what is a scissor lift used for?” has many answers. One that should never get overlooked is “keeping workers safe while in the air.”
With scissor lifts, safety starts with making sure all workers have the right training and certifications. As the online leader in aerial lift training, CertifyMeOnline offers fast, affordable training for scissor lift operators. Completing the online training assures instant certification. Cards can be instantly printed. And you get the peace of mind that comes from knowing your staff is properly trained.
Check out all we offer on the CertifyMeOnline contact page. Or call us directly at (602) 277-0615.
Updated June 2019